August 2012: another mosaic, now with the Eastern Veil Nebula

The fact is that before I attempted the Western Veil with a challenging 6-piece mosaic, I tried the technique with a fragment of the Eastern Veil (a 3-pieces mosaic) I began processing it, but as I then imaged the Western Veil, all my time went to processing the big one, and my Eastern remained waiting.

After having finished its processing, I must say that this object is remarkably spectacular. I’m also very happy overall with it, and the contrast between the nebula and the background.

As with the big mosaic, each piece of it contains 3 700-second subs through the H-alfa filter, and 3 400-second subs through the R, G and B filters.

  Go to this object description and this image technical detail.

August 2012: a challenging mosaic, the Western Veil

My configuration (8″ LX200 with the Optec Focal Reducer and the QSI-583WSG) provides an effective FoV of about 40′ X 30′. This is a good field for many objects, but fails to cover big targets. One of these “big targets” is the Veil Nebula. So, I decided to go for my first mosaic!

This mosaic is a challenging one indeed. I needed 6 overlaping frames to cover almost all of it. As you can imagine, processing was critical, to get similar background brightnesses among the frames.

Each frame contains 3 subs through H-alpha, R, G and B filters. Exposures are 700 seconds for the H-alpha, and 400 seconds for RGB.

This is the result. I must say I am quite satisfied with it! This experience now encourages me to go for some “easier” mosaics (maybe 2 frames) to image objects too big for my regular configuration.

Go to this object description and this image technical detail.